Saturday, December 5, 2009

Smile

For as long as I can remember I have not liked my smile. Perhaps it is because, for one reason or another, I did not receive my retainer after my braces and so my teeth shifted slightly. I have always longed for them to be as straight as my sisters... sigh. Or, perhaps it is because of that comment a former co-worker made about me having "vampire teeth", although given all of the recent vampire hipe one would think I would consider this my best asset. Maybe I should contact Stephanie Meyer, after all the least she could do is feature me as one of the Volturi or something.

Anyway, where were we... oh yeah, me smiling... not so good. My smile tends to be abit forced in pictures. In real life, when I am laughing, I smile so hard that my eyes are nearly invisible and I get a little wrinkle in my nose. I know... I have self-esteem issues.


I started a new job over the summer and EVERYONE there is always commenting on how I always have a smile on my face. One of the women from the cafeteria is very, uh, erm, passionate (?) about my smile. Each time I see her she comments on how wonderful my smile is and how I must make all the patients feel better with my wonderful smile. I'll admit, her compliments make me smile... nervously... and they kinda creep me out at the same time.

Well, the other day, it happened to be the day before Thanksgiving, I braved the grocery store. I think this is the worst day to grocery shop ever, but I only had to get a few of those last-minute ingredients so it wasn't too bad. While I was over by the dairy case the area was quite congested with shoppers, carts, and people in general. I was trying to go one direction and a little-old-man was attempting to go the other way. He sort of cut me off, well I mean, in grocery store etiquette I believe I had the right of way... yes my husband is a cop, so everything in life relates to traffic. In this case, let's just say, the older gentleman nearly caused a collision. He was so adorable though; I didn't hold it against him. He even apologized as he passed in front of me, all slumped over, with his pants up to his chest. I smiled, and said, "Oh, that's ok!" and I meant it. He was so adorable!

I proceeded with my shopping, contemplating which sour cream was the best buy when I see the same man out of the corner of my eye. I look up and see that he had turned around to come back and talk to me. He says, "Thank you so much for your smile! Not enough people in today's day and age smile and you have such a beautiful smile!" I thanked him... smiling, of course, as we conversed briefly about how he dared to brave the crowds to shop. He wished my a happy holiday and we said good-bye.

We both went our separate ways and somehow met up again while we were putting our carts away. I smiled and said, "We finished at the same time!" He smiled back, thanked me for smiling again, and wished me a happy holiday again.

I made it to my car and noticed as I was driving away that he was walking back and forth in the parking lot, trying to remember where he parked. Oh no, I thought... and then I did what any logical person would do... I followed him, secretly, an aisle away... just to make sure he found his car. He did... YAY! and I went home... smiling.

1 comment:

Andrea McKay said...

Oh, I love him! And I love that you waited for him to find his car. That makes me cry. And I love your smile, too! I just found a picture of me that made me think how much we look alike, me and you. :) Tell the woman you work with to take a picture, it will last longer.